Post. As in: Post brand cereal or is it serial? Thing 4

There are only two blogs I’ve ever followed on a routine basis. Whoever you are, if you are reading this, I’ll paste in the links. I’ll do that for 2.0 reasons. One is that I have to practice putting links into my blog, and two is because they are worth reading, even if you are not interested in the content per se. One is the blog of friends of ours who are medical missionaries in Uganda; they live life on the edge in every meaning of the word. They’ve been chased from their homes by rebels, they were in the middle of the ebola breakout a few years back, they bake pizza on Friday nights in an outdoor brick oven they built themselves, they have internet access, they cross paths during daylight hours with the snakes and spiders that inhabit our nightmares… They are humans of great faith and great compassion. Check out their blog at Paradox Uganda. This is one of a million stories I could have chosen from their amazing blog. The other is the blog of a friend who is fabulous cook and caterer, and also a terrific writer; check out this recipe on The Maili Files. If you’ve never had halloumi cheese, now is the time to try it.

Now, back to education… I read through a few other blogs today. They were blogs on topics relating to education. To a one, they were well written, and made me wish that the author was in the room so we could keep the conversation going. That was the thing that struck me most. I love Paradox Uganda and The Maili Files because reading them is like being in the room with those people whom I love; it’s more than keeping up with their lives (maybe I could do that on Facebook? Not sure if they are even Facebook people!), it’s sensing what they care about, more than what they are doing. The same was true for these blogs of strangers.

I read, “Why I Don’t Assign Homework,” fairly sure I would agree with some points and disagree with others, and I was right. As one of the commenters pointed out, the Math argument doesn’t necessarily apply to every class, but there’s plenty of food for thought there. Check it out for yourself if you’re curious.

The Myth of the Digital Native was intriguining because I read an e-mail passed on to our school by someone in the county system about that idea, and it made sense to me at the time. However, the blog entry made me re-think my opinion. Maybe there is hope yet for illegal immigrants like myself… And you know, the “Citizenship-by-birth” discussion is back for discussion in the political realm as well. Check out this story from NPR.

Spies Like Us,” certainly made me glad that I teach fourth graders who are not allowed to carry cell phones into classrooms at our school. It’s hard to imagine students that I know “spying” on their teachers, as a joke or in seriousness, but it’s something that clearly needs to be thought about!

I read through a few more and scanned some others before calling it a day. I was struck by a quote I read  before looking over the blogs. Student and Teacher Blogging that Succeeds stated that blogging begins with reading, and the author (more about this in a minute) commented that we have two ears and one mouth, and that what holds true for speaking should hold true for blogging: twice as much reading as writing! I certainly did that today, and now reality calls… But about the author: since yesterday’s reading mentioned the importance of links to sources (as references), I’d question why I found it impossible on this site–and one other–to figure out who the author is! Who wrote that article? Dean Shareski? Maybe…

At any rate. Serial posting now: one thing after another asitwere…

2 thoughts on “Post. As in: Post brand cereal or is it serial? Thing 4

1. Hi, Katie–I love your thoughts on the value of being connected to a range of other people’s experiences, as if we were there in the room with them. That is what I am most excited about, I think: the idea of a whole new avenue through which language is flowing around the globe, connecting us. As an extremely solitary person by nature, I have resisted the realm of social networking…but your description of your friends in Uganda makes me feel like a fool! Who on earth would not benefit from sharing in such rich experiences? I am going to log onto your link the moment I finish writing this. Thanks!

2. You are a terrific writer! From the title to your thoughts I was intrigued by all you had to say. Having just started facebooking myself, I do think there is a degree of the personal…this is who I really am…aspect in Facebook. I so admire those who live in another country. I have participated in week to ten day mission trips and would go more often if possible, but these people actually live it on a daily basis.